Hot New Sales!

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Wesleyana


After running a bit behind in Huntington, Indiana, haven't gotten all of my community shopping out of the way, I had to turn my interview. Along the way, five minutes into my drive, I encountered a line of police surrounding a windmill piece. Naturally, this delayed me further. However, most of Indiana is a large grid as far as the streets go. So if you took a city block and expanded it by a couple miles, and put cornfields there instead of buildings, you have the crossroads of America.

I spoke too soon when I said that Michigan was a flat State, because Indiana was even more flat than that. Lots of farms more of the countryside, as well as a few dairy farms and lakes. A couple of beautiful bridges hungover Roush Lake in the surrounding area, and because it is so flat, the fields were prone to flooding and creating new Lake formations as well. As it is, driving through Indiana reminded me a lot of the countryside of home, but with even more countryside.

And, a government building worth taking pictures of!
When I got to IWU, I was greeted by a warm group of students and taken to the 5th floor, where my interviews would be conducted. Being a Unitarian Universalist at a Christian School was definitely interesting, but I was assured that I would fit in quite well with everybody there. I got a tour of the campus, learn some history about the school, and saw one of the most beautiful miniature chapels I had seen in my entire life. I got to the library to see the private study cubicles that grad students can use, and found out that if I were to become one of the 1% of students pursuing Doctorate Degrees at IWU, I would get my own private cubicle to study in. I would also get access to an other wise off-limits cadaver lab.

When I got to their Social Hall, I saw at least a hundred undergrads enjoying food from the cafe. The whole area was set up like a shopping complex... And the track team ran straight through it wearing not much more than basketball shorts. Everybody was hooting and hollering and cheering for them. As part of the tour, I got a complimentary coffee from their coffee shop, McConn, which is actually the second highest grossing coffee shop in all of Indiana (next to Starbucks). I marveled in the beauty of the campus 4 another couple of minutes before departing from Marion to head home.

They also had a little antique ice cream shop too!
I afterwards went on to eat at a restaurant called Payne's, as recommended to me by the admissions counselor Luke. It's a small British restaurant with great food for all occasions. Britain would definitely be proud (and little did I know, I would one day be moving there to tell them in person). After finishing a light dinner there, I hit the road for some state highpoints and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment