Hot New Sales!

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Hoosier and the Campbell-Fish


By the time I got all of my last minute shopping and bathroom trips done, and I was most of the way
through Indiana and towards Hoosier Hill, it was already fairly dark. As such, I didn't get a whole lot of substantial pictures of the high point of Indiana. However, when I stopped to talk to somebody at Dollar General, they informed me that whereas you cannot buy alcohol in Indiana on Sundays, Ohio literally has alcohol drive-thrus. That sounds like a liability issue waiting to happen, but just across the border from Indiana, I guess anything goes.

On the way to Lynn, Indiana, I saw several wind turbines. This part of Indiana is not only home to a town in my namesake, but it is home to a very large wind farm. I counted the flashing lights the dictated where the turbines were located, and I counted at least 40. Who would have thought that in the middle of the cornfields there would be they ridiculous amount of wind turbines? Even with a surprising lack of Foothills, Indiana still has some really need ways of getting energy.

Although very small, the highest point in Indiana was one that I could drive right up to. I got out of my car, said holy crap it is getting really dark, turned on my flashlight to snap a picture, sign the guestbook, and then headed on words into the dead of night for my next High Point in Ohio. These actually lie relatively close to one another, as they are both right next to the state border. They are roughly 85 miles apart, but given the fact that I was to be on the road for another 550 miles, that didn't seem like much at all.

The drive thru Ohio was long, arduous, and uneventful. If it weren't for the mighty powers of caffeine, I would have definitely falling asleep on the drive to Bellafontaine. I did find a drive up Beer Shoppe in Sidney, Ohio, and decided to stop for a pop top Bud Light to enjoy at a later time. No alcohol on Sundays in one state, but in the other one, you could, theoretically, drink and drive... interesting indeed.

After driving past the high point of Ohio once or twice, I realized that it was in a private elementary school setting. In fact, there was a complete school system right by the high point, which was on top of the hill behind the school. Luckily, the gates were open, and nobody was around except for one car at the administrative building, so I parked my car, walked up, snapped a few pictures, admired the night-time View, and began heading back home to Pennsylvania.



After this trip, I have officially hiked 11 state highpoints. A lot of them, to be fair, involved driving straight up to them, but it was still a worthwhile Endeavor none the less. When the weather warms up I will try to get back up to New England and do some of those high points as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment