Hot New Sales!

Monday, August 13, 2018

Why I Travel


And why you should too!

My parents were home bodied, there's no doubt about that. End up until the end of high school, I pretty much was as well. Now that I am older though, and I decided to act upon a hidden Wanderlust that I never knew existed, I have found great joy and traveling as far as often as possible. I have a list of six reasons why you should consider taking a trip or two and sometime soon.

1) Earth is big, and we are small.

In America, only about 20% of us will ever get a passport, and even fewer will ever actually utilize it. After graduating high school or college and starting work, most people in America live their life in complete control of the nearest 10 or 15 kilometers (or miles, for those who use Imperial). Very rarely do they understand that this makes up only a small portion of the Earth.

Earth is 26,000 miles across at the center, and so much of it has still been unexplored. Dreaming of places to go, you will never get bored. When you're standing on top of the mountains, hearing nothing except the breeze and a few stray Birds, that's when you start to really realize that everything you look at is very big and distant, but we are rather small and inferior. It is the most humbling since I've ever felt, and the biggest reason why I go hiking.

2) You create Unforgettable stories.

This should come as a no-brainer to some, but often doesn't. You generate new viewers on your social media accounts. You share incredible stories with people. You connect to people who ever hear you talking about your travels in public. And, while you are traveling, you get to meet some incredible people the otherwise never would have the chance to interact with. I've met some of my greatest friends through traveling.

3) You never stop learning.

Just when I thought I couldn't cram any more information into my brain, I started going further and further away from home. I learned about boiled peanuts in the south. I learned how to translate miles into kilometers amongst many other things in Europe. I learned about the culture and the Locale of the area. I became more culturally competent by saying other aspects and perspectives on life. And of course there is the actual learning to be done at the Museum's themselves as well. I've changed so much valuable information on Aviation in Washington DC. I really solidified my rock and roll roots at the Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So on, and so forth.

4) You meet the coolest of friends.

You never know who you're going to run into when you are out and about, and they could just end up being some of your closest pals. Although I do not keep direct contact with a lot of people, I have gotten girls numbers at rest stops, I have held conversations with strangers about literally anything literally anywhere, and I've met Unforgettable people. Because of staying at an Airbnb in Cleveland, I now have a friend in Saudi Arabia who offered a place and his house if I ever go visit. Also, did I mention that my best friend is from Denmark? If we weren't travelers, we would have never met.

5) You gain a new status with your colleagues.

When I returned from Iceland, I was bombarded with all sorts of questions for weeks to come. I became known as that cultured hippie who decided that going to the land of the ice and snow in the middle of winter was a good idea, and I gained newfound respect because of it. People ask you questions about the areas you've been too, and in your own way, you almost become your own little expert.

6) You'll have the time of your life.

I'm a big fan of living loud, and as a clinician, I have come to understand that my happiest patients are the ones that have had a variety of meaningful life experiences. Notably, they the teachers and educators and clinicians that had the ability to travel and see foreign places and create the wonderful stories I've been talking about. You will carry these memories with you throughout your entire life span, as evidenced by how many I already have had at my young age. And, when you're enjoying the process of breathing and being present in a foreign place, you really realize what it means to be alive and having fun.

Look at it this way, here's a few statistics for you. There are 196 million square miles on this Earth. 29% of those miles are land mass, which means there is about 57 million square miles to explore. This spans 195 lifted countries, and during our lifetimes, we might see even more. And in those countries, there are 7.6 billion people that speak approximately 2000 languages.

It doesn't have to be far, it doesn't have to be extravagant, and it doesn't have to be expensive. It just has to be something outside of the norm to ease the tensions in your heart. Let go of will duties at work, obligations and deadlines, and all other reservations you hold, and just get out there. Go somewhere, see something, be someone. And I promise, you won't regret it. If anything, you might just end up starting a blog about it.

Somewhere along the road...


No comments:

Post a Comment