Hot New Sales!

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The White Rose City


Once occupied by Vikings, conquered by Germans, and still containing way too many castle walls to walk upon, York Is one of the oldest towns in Europe that still stands. Sharing a name with my hometown in Pennsylvania, this city is definitely the most culturally infused between the 2.

I started my journey off by going to the merchant Hall, A medieval Guildhall dedicated to merchant adventurers. Just inside the castle walls that Still protect the inside city, it is the oldest surviving of its kind.

After this, I traveled all around the city seeing the oldest gates (bars) of the city, learning about their bloodiest war Thornton (akin to my York's Gettysburg), and exploring other things. I saw an exhibition on magic and sorcery, walked the castle walls, got dwarfed by a massive church, and enjoyed some monk brewed beer (whilst being a monk for a week myself: see 'The Zen Experience'). I even saw the university I could've stayed abroad at (St. John University).

Between you and me, York England was way better than York Pennsylvania. I will endeavor to return at some point in my future if time and financial status allows. Stay tuned, all!


No comments:

Post a Comment