Hot New Sales!

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Overseas Ambassadors


On the fourth day, the culmination of our rehearsal experiences lead to the penultimate project for both participating international choirs.

For our performance, we worked relentlessly with Dr Jeffrey Redding (as mentioned in my earlier post), and we paid it in full by earning a standing ovation and glad praise from all of the patrons.

The keynote address for the concert was delivered by Eric Whitacre, grammy-winning composer and role model of choral music for myself and many others. He then conducted the Limerick Youth Choir for three of his pieces. For the encore, the sheet music for his song "Sleep" was brought up on the screen, and he conducted the audience to perform along with the choir. Our diminuendo was so low and intense, that he busted out giggling to end our unexpected performance. I would have honestly done the same thing. You can hear his virtual choir's rendition of the song on YouTube.

In an unexpected turn of events, while walking to the pub for the after-party, I ran into Eric himself. Since I view celebrities and famous musicians as regular human beings who are fortunate enough to be their complete selves at work, Is struck up a conversation with him. We took a picture together, shook hands, and proceeded to talk about our influences for the music we both love and write. As we reached the bar, the I told the rockstar-turned-choir-buff that I watched the debut of his choral rendition of Trent Reznor's "Hurt", and that I couldn't wait for his publishers to release it to the public so that I can have my choir sing it. Humbled, he smiled and thanked me, and we went to order drinks at the bar. (If you’re reading this, Eric, my friend still owes us the money from his bet that I wouldn’t get a photo with you.)





At the end of the night at said bar, we ended up Singing in impromptu singsong with locals at bar with Cor Cois Abhann, an Irish adult’s choir. We sang some traditional Irish folk songs after we'd finished singing songs that our choir had sung, and then they had joined us with the Americans songs that they know. for about half of the evening, the Norwegian choir was there to enjoy the spontaneous concert with us.

There is something so alluring to getting together for a good song with your friends both new and old at the bar. Whilst ordering a few rounds at the bar, I talked to different individuals who are part of the Choir, and we all agreed that America has a long way to come with loneliness and social interaction. After all, and promise you sing along at the bar would surely get kicked out in my home country. Here, it is almost expected.

As an overseas ambassador of the USA, I couldn't wait to return to the beautiful spot we sang at and enjoy the Irish environment once more. Here's to those happenings invited in by future days.

No comments:

Post a Comment