Hot New Sales!

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Irish Marketeering


Our last full day in Limerick dictated a full day of marketing. Similar to marketing in the states, there is a culture around it, where locals meet and greet one another gladly with joy each weekend.

At first, I thought I wouldnt be impressed. however, this quickly changed. I realized that all of the people serving products were experts on their product, and a wealth of information, and very easy to talk to about literally anything. Several people asked where I was from, two people gave me discounts because I couldn't fiddle through my euro coins fast enough. I also got tea from a Polish lady (Whom I taught Icelandic as she taught me Polish), and bought Turkish Delight from a stall operator who taught me how to make it. (include recipe link)

Halfway through, after buying a pasty from Peter the Pie Man and coffee fom Enjoi, I talked to a botanist (who was growing opium poppy for wedding decorations and was jokingly called "the drug dealer" by the neighbors) about people getting ricin/digitalis/myconium poisoning. I then went and chatted up some locals whilst listening to a 10 year old classical guitar busker. quite an interesting morning.

ironically enough, walking down the streets of Limerick reminded me of walking down the streets of Florence. the streets where shallower and the buildings weren't as tall, but the layout was pretty much identical. They are always open for fresh produce for cheap prices every weekend.

All in all, Irish marketeering is a similar concept to American marketeering, but yet, quite different. Explore it for yourself!

Just look at all of those stands!




No comments:

Post a Comment