Hot New Sales!

Monday, April 15, 2019

Mountain Man Peters


Peters Mountain is a mountain just above Painesville, which lies just above Duncannon in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. The trail that we took started in Inglenook, and cross the railroad track and intersected with the Appalachian Trail. the entire Loop, if it were to be Heights, to get to the summit, what have taken about 2 and 1/2 hours and spans over 3 miles. The entire loop around the mountain is 15 miles, and intersects with a Wilderness portion of the Appalachian Trail.

For my difficulty scale, I would give it about a 3.5 out of 10. If you go hiking often enough, it isn't a hard hike at all. However, if new are even slightly out of shape, the steepness and incline of some of the hills can be killer. I brought two friends with me, one who is a hiker and one who is severely asthmatic, and the asthmatic did not have the greatest go of it. We hiked for a total of 2 miles and still didn't reach the shelter, as the trails are deceptively long, and very challenging.

the other complaint the only other complaint that I had about this Trail was that it was so close to the interstate, but until you got further into the trail, you would hear rushing cars going by. Once you get past that however, the scenery is stunning and beautiful, with clear shots of the small towns nearby and the rivers that intersect them. it's not too far from Harrisburg or York, so it is definitely a location I will be going back to at some point in time for trail running exercises.

I already know that I intend to hike bigger and badder mountains, so this one will really help me get into shape for the trails ahead. It is an excellent exercise Trail if you are learning to Sprint trails with all of your gear on, which is something I plan on doing at some point in time. I also didn't see too much of the trail since it was a rainy day, and because I had the constraints of both of my friends needing to go to work, I didn't get to hike as much of it as I wanted to.

A view from the top.
The trail is right next to a large portion that intersect with the Appalachian mountain range, so it is definitely worth a visit if you have the time and resources to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment