Hot New Sales!

Monday, March 11, 2019

A Dive into Philadelphia


The third time I went to Philadelphia, I went to visit my friend Tommy, who is a graphic design artist in front end developer for a large corporation just outside city limits. He’d recently sold his car for the sake of a train and subway pass, as gas could cost up to $80 a month and car insurance and payments could cost at least a hundred per month. Hopping into taking the train for $30 per month with unlimited usage could save him about $2,000 per year or more on commuting expenses. Plus, he was vegan, and walking to work sometimes, so he is in great shape. With his business portfolio he established himself in the world as a prominent front end developer, and he started thinking about eventually getting additional schooling paid for and to one day work from home. Who says you can't get paid to get creative?

In general, Center Philly traffic absolutely sucks. Even getting to his small studio apartment was a nightmare, and when I finally found a secure valet parking, the $40 for an overnight pass completely drained whatever resources I had left. however, I knew that my car was safe, and that I could just hoof it around the city with my friend.

Considering the Philadelphia is an up-and-coming town with a lot of Millennials moving in, there are a lot of vegan-friendly options and nearly every restaurant, and the prices aren't actually too ridiculous. For example, a pint of ice cream cost me about $8, but in Iceland it probably would have cost me $12 or $13. I was able to get a vegan shaved ice for $8 at The Founder’s Fountain (link), and old timey ice cream parlor that has been in Philadelphia since the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Dinner that night was at Tattooed Mom, a small restaurant and late night bar that had both omnivore friendly and vegan-friendly options. I got a Chubby Cheesesteak, made with Veganaise, chicken flavored seitan, tater tots, onions, mushrooms, and peppers. It was served and a toasted tortilla wrap and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten at a restaurant. We then went for vegan drinks at Charlie was a sinner, a vegan company that also owns HipCityVeg, which was my Santa Fe Southwest vegan "egg" the next morning. In addition, both bars I visited had happy hour price drinks, so I got loaded up on IPA and Porter for $3 a pop. Not bad Philadelphia, not bad. A happy plant-based dieter I was that day.

Just as exciting as the food were the people. There were so many beautiful people walking around, but there was also unfortunately a large demographic of homeless and mentally ill that were despondently wandering the streets. Men and women alike of all cultural and racial backgrounds were sitting on the street, both able-bodied and sitting on walkers, begging for change. Considering as to how I had to borrow money just to make this trip and the next happen, as my paycheck had not come through yet, I felt conceited and awful that I could not spare even a penny, as I was desperately broke myself.

What was the most exciting was all of the history that I got to experience with my friend Tommy and his girlfriend Miranda. We walked around downtown, seeing Penn's Landing where William Penn landed during the revolution, we got to stand in front of the building where the Declaration of Independence was signed, and we got to take pictures in front of the Liberty Bell. We got to see the historic district at all of the gothic churches and Barbershop style stores that still stood tall and proud. Indeed, everything was within walking distance and very humbling.

After meeting up with my friend and meeting his vegan girlfriend, we walked around and saw and did as much as we possibly could. Philadelphia has no shortage of museums and restaurants to visit. And, you can spend countless hours just walking around and ogling everything. This included a jazz rrio that became a quartet when a street Busker came by with his saxophone, a random guy playing congas for change on the corner near the old parliament, and some guy yodeling outside of the restaurant we ate at. Traffic continued to suck throughout my experience, and truly is the only thing that I did not like about visiting Philadelphia. 

Although it did not have enough time or money to spare, I went to the Eastern State Penitentiary to snap a few pictures. This is the prison where Al Capone was held at four the last couple of Decades of his life. When I get time and money to spend, I will definitely come back to visit this hallowed ground.

So without further ado, when you get the chance to do so, go on out and visit Philadelphia. You especially must come if you are fresh out of college and looking for a job, as the economy for Millennials is starting to flourish in this city.


No comments:

Post a Comment