Hot New Sales!

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Into The Alps

After spending three days in the stifling hot Italy, we ventured on wards into the Alps. Specifically, we landed in Lucerne, Switzerland. This landlocked country actually lies outside of the European Union, their currency being Swiss Francs. They have four official languages, and most locals speak at least three or four languages. These languages are Italian, French, German, and Romansh. English is thrown in the mix there somewhere, and the Locale are always very fortunate to be able to practice their foreign language skills. If there's any one place I want to go back to and dedicate more time to in the future, it is definitely Switzerland.


A view from the bus of Lucerne.
Unabashed and unaware, I was told to put on Long clothing before getting on the bus for Switzerland. I was uncertain as to why they told me this, as it was about 38 degrees Celsius when we got on the bus and Italy. It made sense to me exactly why once we stepped off the bus in Lucerne outside the Swiss Alps, and the temperature was about 2 degrees Celsius. I really wish I had brought gloves at this part of the trip. It was intensely cold. No doubt it was worth it, but surprisingly cold. Granted, where you at were also at a rest stop at the bottom of the Swiss Alps, where temperature is always markedly different from the rest of the country.

As we took the trolley to the top of Mount Pilatus, the tallest alp, I noticed some pain in my left side. I knew that my appendix was not over there, but it was still very worrying. Needless to say, one of our band moms (who was acting as the nurse for the trip) packed some ibuprofen, and she hooked me up. Some fresh Mountain Air from the Alps, some good hiking and cold weather, and a half hour wait, and the pain subsided and I was good to go.
The Mountain we would summit.

To this day, Mount Pilatus has to be my favorite location I've ever taken a Facebook profile picture at, which I have shown here, and it also has to be part of my favorite country I've ever visited. Although we only spent a day and a half in Lucerne, it was probably my favorite part of the visit. The people we met at the tourist stop alone were so friendly and hospitable that it really made up for the stoic attitudes of Italy. I went to the gift shop on top of the mountain after exploring the caves nearby, deciding to buy a Swatch while in Switzerland. All of them were at least $100, except for one that was about 20 and replicable at Walmart for probably $5. I talked to the lady, who did not know the word for credit card, and she called it plastic money. We both started laughing because we knew this was the incorrect term, but it still worked. She was talking to me about where I was from, why I've come to Italy and Switzerland, and what I thought of her country so far. I returned the favor to her, and she was just so happy to see an American take the time out of their day to chat with her.

My most favorite profile picture of all time: On top of Pilatus.
We visited the historical bridge in the center of Lucerne next, the one that burned down in the 60s and was rebuilt. The memorial plaques told stories worth a thousand words, although the descriptions were in every language except for English. At this point in time, my language skills were developed just enough that I could figure out most of what they were telling me in German, just for context clues. I would utilize this skill for the rest of my life. It also helped when communicating with locals who didn't speak much English, as I clearly didn't speak much of their languages either.

After touring the quaint town of Lucerne, some of the historical sites including their big Fountain and their Jelly Bean roof houses, we went to a fondue restaurant. Just like the locals by the church who operated small farming stalls, or the people we passed on the street getting on to the completely renewable-energy-based Electric tramline, the people in the restaurant who served us we're beautiful human beings inside and out. They really wanted us to feel at home and comfortable, and went out of their way to do so. One lady on the street waved me over to her stand to talk, browse her wares, and gave me free samples without thinking twice.

Nowhere in America can I find attitudes even vaguely similar to the ones of Switzerland. They are truly unique kind of people. After we sat down for dinner, we were entertained by singing Viking ladies, a quartet playing songs on alphorns, and a yodeling and chugging contest, of which I was invited along to. They asked for anybody who knew how to sing in the crowd, and the people at my table heard me murmur that I could sing and raise my hand for me. So naturally, as with the four other Americans there, I was taught how to yodel from a proper Swiss alp yodeler. Directly after simultaneously yodeling well and embarrassing myself, came the chugging contest. They gave us beer, which would be legal at the age of 16, but because it was a school affiliated trip, I had to take the non-alcoholic version of lemonade. There was one guy there that once prompted to start chugging, crushed his entire flagon in maybe two seconds. It was quite an impressive feat. Defeated, I returned to my seat with my lemonade.
Our entertainment for the night!
After a good night's rest and more sightseeing in Lucerne, we packed our bags and headed for the black forest of Germany. Switzerland is a country that I will not soon forget, and one that I long to visit again. Unfortunately, if you like me are considering expatriation, it is extremely hard to get permission to work and live in Switzerland if you are not from the surrounding six countries. You're also required to learn one of the official languages and make an attempt at learning the others. So although moving there might not be in my foreseeable future, I will be visiting sometime soon. With temperatures similar to home, but twice as many rolling mountainsides covered in fog and mist, it really is a landlocked Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment